Friday, October 5, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Twelve - Smell

I happen to believe in a large correlation between smell and personality. The people I know with the largest personalities, also have the most lingering scents. Think about it. See if it's true for you. Leave me a comment about it. It's not necessarily that their scents are the most dominating. Everyone knows its the guy who seems to breathe Axe Body Spray that is going to be the most dominant. But their scent lingers. A single hug from the OSM seems to stay on my clothes until I wash them. Not always there, but a turn here or a stretch there and suddenly I'm back in that hug.

Or my heterosexual lifemate. She smells like everything that's good in this world. She smells like baking and walks in the fall and somehow glitter. I didn't know glitter had a smell, but it does. And just a few moments with her leaves that smell lingering. That calming, glittery smell. 

They saturate me. Their presence lingers. But only when I spend time with them. I need to be refreshed. I need to be reminded. I need to communicate. When I talked to Anthem this morning, he said that he wanted to smell like God, and I totally understand that. To be so saturated by someone, by their infectious laughter, by their compassion, by their life, by their sound, that you can't help but reflect it to the world. And this morning, he took the time to just communicate with God, via worship music, and let it soak in. I know when I talked to him this morning, he was still radiating our God. His warmth, His love, His passion. 

It was just a great reminder as I started today that results don't just happen. I don't just wake up smelling like God. I don't just wake up able to reflect Him to the world. I have to remember to sit down, spend time, communicate, get hugs, be loved, love, and invest in our relationship. It's also a good reminder that to get results, it doesn't always take exhausting amounts of effort. Sometimes it's just a cup of coffee by myself in my hammock with a journal and a playlist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment