Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Thirty - Parent Failure

I'm so thankful for my mom tonight. Because I hear about everyone else's moms. And mine is the best. Mine doesn't try to rule my life. Mine respects my autonomy. Mine lets me make my own mistakes and live my own life. Mine listens and never judges. Mine forgives when I mess up and never holds it over my head. Mine laughs with me. Mine enjoys me, not having power over me. Mine is not delusional to think that she can live vicariously through me. Mine respects me as a grown daughter. Mine trusts her parenting. And our God.

Granted, I do believe all of the moms who are reading this are on the same level as my mom. Because my friends who are moms are awesome moms. Though my mom will always be the most awesome because she is mine. I never knew that there were moms different than mine, moms who made their children cry and constricted their freedom, pointlessly for their own power, to the point of slowly stealing the light from their eyes and making their lives miserable due to their own warped priorities and stubbornness until college. 

Perhaps I am being too harsh but I have had just about enough of juvenile parents. I often worry about my generation. The more I learn about it, the more I realize my generation is illiterate. But the more I learn about my generation's parents - the more I realize they're still children. But maybe that's true of every generation. Maybe some people never really grow up. Just.. don't take it out on your kids. 

I'm just thankful I was raised right by an amazing woman, or chances are I would be in prison for assault. STOP MAKING YOUR DAUGHTERS CRY BECAUSE YOU FEEL POWERLESS IN YOUR OWN LIFE. And remember, not trusting them when they're adults is basically saying, "I am a failure as a parent because I raised an adult who is fully incapable of making wise decisions." So... well done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment