Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Three Hundred and Twenty Two - Companionship

I get so much more done when there is someone with me. Don't get me wrong. I can run errands like no other, and am perfectly capable of functioning alone. But it's so much easier to be productive when there is someone with me. I find myself much more motivated. Doesn't matter if it's writing letters or making dinner or doing laundry, if there is someone to keep me company, everything works a lot smoother. And I happen to know quite a few people who feel the same way. 

Which made me wonder - why is it then that companionship is almost completely neglected in the dating scene? Sure I want someone that excites me and takes me on dates and that feels magical. But I also want someone to live the day in and the day out with me. Someone who will just be there, and be a calming presence and a motivating one all at the same time. I want a companion. And to be a companion. To really live life together. 

Because that's all we are, really. We're each other's companions. All of my closest friends have, largely, stopped having 'friend dates' where we actually just go out. Most of the time, it involves coming over and watching a show we both love or seeing a movie we both love or cooking a meal together or doing chores together to break the monotony. Just living together, and helping each other live. Those are the best friendships. The ones where you don't clean up before they get there, you clean up because they came over to keep you company while you clean up. The ones where you run errands together because the only time you have this week is the drive between them and you want to spend time together. I love those friendships. They are my favorite. 

And marriage, or dating, is just that - your very best friend. Your very best companion. The romance, the chasing, the date nights and the excitement - all come out of your friendship, your companionship. 

This is why I can't wait to be with Anthem all the time. Of course I'm excited for our dates, but I'm so much more excited to just be able to live life with him. To listen to him practice, to be able to cook a meal for him, to run errands together and watch Saturday morning cartoons. To just... be companions for this crazy life we lead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment