Monday, October 8, 2012

Day Three Hundred and Sixteen - How Our Story Starts

There are numerous things on this blog that I am never going to write because they are just for me. Or just for me and Anthem. Or just for me and my closest friends. Or just for me and my family. But I can tell you how our story started, and why that's so important.

Anthem and I met over the computer. He is the roommate of a very good friend of mine (Tex) who put up a question on Facebook for the world to answer. And some rather nasty lady answered. And even though I hadn't talked to Anthem in close to a year, my heart went out to him and I answered him too. I saw that he was online later that night, and said 'hey!', just wanting to encourage him. He was making dinner but open to talking and asked if he could call via skype. I didn't even have a web cam and was trying to catch up on my shows via hulu but I said what the heck, figuring it would take all of 10 minutes or less. We talked for 3 hours. When Miss Erica knocked on my door, we quickly exchanged phone numbers so we could text. We talked for another 4 hours on the phone after she left. We haven't stopped talking since. But the uniqueness of our meeting, the impossibility of even seeing each other at first, he had only my voice, caught us both completely out of our usual comfort zones. And in our comfort zones, both of us tend to like to wield power over newcomers. With certain smiles and body language, we can drive them crazy and have them spill their deepest secrets. For a very short amount of time, we can have anyone in the palm of our hands. But we couldn't. There was too much distance, and not enough atmosphere to work with to create it. We had to just be us and ask the other to do the same. Neither was on a higher footing. He was just Anthem. I was just me. And we fell in love.

And now that we're in love, there is no power play. There is nothing but a longing for each other, but a love. God took us both where we were and gave us what we needed to find true love without hurting each other through it. There are no words to express my gratitude.

Of course, being separated by a number of states from the man I love sucks. But knowing I have no regrets with him, knowing he never got any false version of me, knowing that we fell in love, not on our own terms but on God's... well that makes all the difference in the world. That's what made this one... The One.

No comments:

Post a Comment